Wednesday, January 28, 2009

10 Questions My H.S. Intern Asked Me

Hey Ged,

I have a homework assignment for my internship class and I need to ask ten questions to somebody who is in the business that I am interested in pursuing.

1. Are you satisfied with your job in film industry today?

Ged: I like the job, when I get to work, but I get frustrated when there are no productions to work on.

2. If you had a chance to, would you go back and pursue a different career?

Ged: No. This is the right business for me, and Line Producing is the best job for me in the business.

3. What is your favorite part of the film business?

Ged: Working with people on a common project, specifically a movie, which will affect the souls of millions of people for years to come.

4. Does the film business offer good pay?

Ged: Depends what you consider good pay. I would say it is average, unless you really make it and are a big success. For most people you can live well, maybe have a boat or a second home, but it's really hard to bank money and save. The weekly salary can be good, but the weeks without work, make your yearly income modest.

5. Is sixteen a good age to start getting into the film business?

Ged: Never too young and the younger the better. True of any field. The knowledge you need to start out is pretty minimal, and then the knowledge you need to move up, is learned through experience working on productions. All the knowledge you have is helpful to reaching your fullest potential, as with every field. It's good I am quick with math, but I don't really need math beyond algebra and geometry. You need to be able to read. Science is unnecessary. If you want to write and direct, you need to observe life and comprehend what is going on, and build your understanding of people human nature. I'm into self-education. Pursue your interests and educate yourself in the process.

6. Is the film industry based mostly on luck or skill?

Ged: Success in the business is based on skill, luck, networking, talent, attitude and knowledge, among other things.

7. How many degrees are preferable to gain in college in order to be most likely successful in the industry?

Ged: The more you are educated, the broader your base to start out with, but you don't want to spend all of your 20's in school, because you will be starting out too late in the field. If you do grad school, you need to work full-time in the summers. You should go to college.

8. What is the best job for a person to start with if he/she would like to get into the film business?

Ged: Intern and Production Assistant.

9. What inspired you to get into the film industry?

Ged: I have always liked watching movies and in college I made little movies. There was nothing else I really liked doing. I liked working on a common project with my friends, and then kicking back to look at what we had created.

10. If you had a chance to work with any current movie director, who would it be?

Ged: Edward Zwick, Sidney Lumet, John Sayles, Ben Stiller, and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment